Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Who's running this blog anyway?

 A little bit about me

I'm Holly, a senior History and Spanish major writing from sunny Phoenix, AZ where I lived for the majority of my childhood.

Why I'm taking Film History II

One of my main historical interests concerns film, especially 21st century Hollywood, as history. When a film was created, by whom, and under what conditions directly influences its underlying messages. I'm particularly interested in representations of gender onscreen, so you can probably expect to hear quite a bit about that on this blog.

How I've been during the pandemic

I've been doing my best to keep myself occupied with fun little hobbies during my time in quarantine. Aside from hiking and daily handstands, I've also been playing a lot of music. I went to a performing arts high school where I learned cello and trombone in addition to some piano and choir. Until now I had never written my own music or sang for anyone else, but during this pandemic I've started writing songs that I would say fall into the power pop/pop rock genre. I'll be putting out an EP in late October or early November, and here's a link to my SoundCloud where you can listen to what I've done so far: https://soundcloud.com/gthirtyeight-670005780. Also, feel free to follow @g.thirtyeightmusic on Instagram to stay up to date on my music if that's your jam.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new music! One thing I've enjoyed about quarantine is the chance to relax at home to good music. There's alot of interest in film sound in this class so hopefully we will have some good discussions about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Holly! You’re going to be a great contributor to this class with your interests in history, gender, and music. I am so jealous that you can do a handstand—you’ll have to attach a picture to one of your blogs lol. -TA Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Come for the Aliens, Stay for the...???

  While it seems like some people in the class enjoyed Gregg Araki's  Mysterious Skin , the rest were thoroughly disturbed and wondered ...